I was not able to find 1/2″ PVC foam in my supply, but I did have 3/8″ PVC, so I used that in it’s place. I cut the piece to size with a utility knife after marking the top for the bevel with a pencil. Then I used heavy grit sand paper to make the bevels. I cut out 4 pieces of 4″ x 22″ UND and 4 pieces of BID (at 45 degree angles), and rolled them up for later.
After starting the layup process, I found the squeegee to be useful for the first layers of UND, but was pretty much useless after that. This is partially because of the 45 degree orientation of a small pieces of BID, and partially because of the piece of foam that the top layers are conforming around. Once I got to the foam, I made up a batch of micro-slurry, but put too much glass bubbles in the batch, so it was more like dry-micro. I used dry-micro on some of the imperfections in the foam, and then mixed up a batch of slurry. I think the slurry was a little thicker than necessary, which caused me some issues with coverage at first. I also may have not gotten the tips of each end of the foam at a flat enough angle, as I had a hard time getting the air bubbles from forming there. Once one was removed, one would form on the other edge. I finally got them out the best I could with the brush, and let dry. Instructions say to let dry for 24 hrs, and then cut with a coping saw, so I resisted the urge to knife trim.
Now that the layup has had a chance to dry, I was able to cut the piece to dimension. I grabbed the dremmel and used one of the cutting discs. This seemed to melt the fiberglass more than it was cutting it, not to mention breaking a lot of cutting discs. I then tried a coping saw, but it was not ‘coping’ well, and catching too much on the fiberglass cloth to be usable. Perhaps a different blade is needed. I then tried a hand saw, and that seemed to work decent. I sanded the edges a little, and was pretty much good to go. Fein Tool (or a clone) sounds like the way to go, though!