I started by cutting two 48″ x 43″ pieces from a 4′ x 8′ sheet of 5/8″ particle board. This left a 48″x10 piece left over, which I will use for one of the sides. Then I cut (3) 48″x10″ pieces off the end of another sheet of 5/8″ particle board. I ended up making a mistake during cutting, and had to put it together slightly different than planned. At this point I should have cut the top and bottom pieces to 43″ lengths. I will still need to trim the front door for fit, but all the other pieces are cut out and ready to be biscuit joined, glued, and screwed together.
After experimenting with the biscuit joiner, I found that it is made for 3/4″ material, and not the 5/8″ material I am using. I abandoned the idea and just screwed all surfaces together after gluing. I trimmed the edge of the front piece enough so it would fit inside the edge boards of the cabinet.Since I wasn’t able to use the biscuits, I wanted extra support for the bottom of the cabinet, since the hinges would attach there and would need to support the constant weight of the front door opening and closing. I cut a 2×4 to fit between the two sides, and positioned it at the front of the box on the bottom. This will also act as a storage space to store scrap cloth, peel ply, scissors, etc, without having to worry about the wind blowing them out of the box when I have the
garage open. I added a 1″x2″ piece to the bottom side of the table top so I would have some additional support for the hinges to screw into. I screwed the hinges into both the cutting side of the table top, as well as the bottom side of the bottom board. I also drilled the holes for the dowel rods, however, hindsight would have me drilling the holes with slightly different placement if I was to do it again. It will do just fine, and there is still room for a small shelf at the top, which I plan to add. I also need to add the fold up legs to support the cutting surface.
The following night I added the legs to the cloth box. I started by attaching a piece going horizontal for support, then added the hinges to the support piece and the legs. I then added a cross piece to stiffen the legs and make it one assembly.